About CFIRE (Generation I)
The University of Wisconsin–Madison is the home of the National Center for Freight and Infrastructure Research and Education (CFIRE), a national University Transportation Center (UTC).
- CFIRE’s research, education, and outreach efforts advance technology, knowledge, and expertise in the planning, design, construction, and operation of sustainable freight transportation infrastructure and systems.
- CFIRE coordinates the Mid-America Freight Coalition, a consortium of ten states that cooperate on the planning, operation, preservation, and improvement of freight transportation infrastructure and networks in the Midwest.
- CFIRE also supports the training and education of the next generation of professionals through the UW Transportation Management and Policy program.
- CFIRE’s annual budget is approximately $6.5 million.
Download the CFIRE Overview in PDF.
To advance technology, knowledge, and expertise in the planning, design, construction, and operation of sustainable freight transportation infrastructure through education, research, outreach, training, and technology transfer at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and its partner institutions.
The National University Transportation Center at the University of Wisconsin–Madison will be an internationally recognized authority and resource that creates knowledge, advances understanding, develops technologies, and prepares leaders to meet the nation’s need for safe, efficient, and sustainable infrastructure for the movement of goods.
The Center conducts research, sponsors training opportunities, develops academic coursework and continuing education programs, and sponsors regional and national conferences that support the CFIRE theme—Sustainable Freight Infrastructure and Systems—and reflect the Center’s Signature Technical Areas of Research (STARs).
- Design, Materials, and Construction Processes for Highway, Harbor, and Rail Infrastructure
- Energy and Environment
- Multimodal Systems Planning and Optimization
- Traffic Operations and Safety
The Center also sponsors related research on performance measurements, policy, economic effects, and emergency management.
CFIRE is one of 10 National University Transportation Centers designated under SAFETEA-LU and is the only one dedicated to Freight Transportation. CFIRE collaborates regularly with the other 10 UTCs and several additional university based programs. A comprehensive document providing an overview of the the National Centers was compiled in 2008-2009.