K-12 Transportation Events
Family Transportation Activity Night
February 25, 2014: Ocean Springs Upper Elementary School, Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Family Transportation Activity Night was held in conjunction with the 2014 Logistics, Trade, & Transportation (LTT) Symposium hosted by the Center for Logistics, Trade and Transportation (CLTT) and the National Center for Freight and Infrastructure Research and Education (CFIRE).
The Family Transportation Activity Night is designed for 4th-6th grade students and their families and aims to promote interest in transportation and future careers amongst local youth. The goals of the event were to:
- Introduce students and parents to the variety of careers in the transportation sector;
- Introduce students and parents to the role of transportation in our daily lives;
- Provide college and transportation career role models for younger students.
University students from eight CFIRE partner universities, along with university faculty, presented at the event. The event is a model for outreach events and showcased transportation activities that can be used to engage and increase awareness amongst K-12 students and their parents.
- Webinar 1: Overview and Logistics
- Webinar 2: Presenter Training
- Webinar 3: Family Transportation Night Training
- Lesson Plan: Packaging Bananas
- Lesson Plan: What Floats Your Boat
- Lesson Plan: Plot the Path Lesson
- Lesson Plan: Five Points Traffic Jam
- Video 1: Plot the Path into The Harbor
- Video 2: Five Points Traffic Jam
- Video 3: Packaging Bananas
- Video 4: What Floats Your Boat
- Flyer and Registration Form
- Welcome Poster
- Packaging Bananas Poster
- Plot the Path Poster
- Press Release
- Parent Evaluation Survey and Survey Results
- Pre/Post Student Survey and Survey Results
Family Transportation Night
April 11, 2013: Chassell Elementary, Chassell, Michigan. Michigan Tech University students conducted hands-on transportation activities for K-6 students and their parents. These activities were related to urban traffic safety, maritime transportation, designing airplanes and rockets, investigating consequences of automobile fuel efficiency. A number of short 3-5 minute opener activities were set up ahead while families arrived. Transportation engineering faculty provided several transportation monitoring tools, including a speed meter and intersection counter.